 Off-Topic / Geek / 4653
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:43:54 GMT

Mookie <Mookie@tanarth.com> wrote:
Matthew, I just want to point out one thing to make sure of with the two
processors you are getting now.  Make sure the stepping is same so when you
go to dual the systems you know you can take that processor and pair with
the other one, and then make sure you get a set pair for the other system.
Other than that, cool hardware! To bad it's not showing up on my doorstep!

Excellent point. Looks like there's three differentm steppings for this
particular CPU model, and any of the first two can be mixed freely, but
the third can't. I've messed with all this stuff before, but it doesn't
hurt to be reminded of it, and the trick of making sure these two at least
are matched is a good idea.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>