 Off-Topic / Geek / 4652
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:50:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Tim David wrote:
Interesting that the HDDs are serialATA rather than SCSI. [...]

Matthew could answer this better than I, but my opinion is that the money is put
to better use in ECC memory, and gobs of it.  We're starting of with 1GB of RAM,
upgradeable to 8GB.  Since the OS automatically allocates unused RAM toward
filesystem cache, and the present server typically runs with 100-200MB of
filesystem cache, which means we expect half a GB of RAM in the new boxen to act
as filesystem cache, hugely reducing disk read latency issues.  (Writes to disk
are far less frequent on lugnet.com than reads from disk are, except for logs,
which may go on the secondary disk.)  Initially we'll be running ext3 but are
looking at ReiserFS v3 and v4 (the latter of which has wandering logs to greatly
reduce comitted write latency).

--Todd