 Off-Topic / Geek / 4655
Re: New LUGNET server hardware details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:52:52 GMT

Todd Lehman <todd@lugnet.com> wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Tim David wrote:
Interesting that the HDDs are serialATA rather than SCSI. [...]
Matthew could answer this better than I, but my opinion is that the money is put
to better use in ECC memory, and gobs of it.  We're starting of with 1GB of RAM,

That summarizes it pretty well. SATA is something like five times cheaper
per byte, and that's not even counting that we'd need a more expensive
motherboard with a SCSI controller. Right now, disk isn't really the
bottleneck for the load, so it didn't make sense to dump that kind of
money there. Performance should be better than with older IDE -- less CPU
for disk operations. (And of course it'll be a lot faster than the current
setup regardless.)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>