 Off-Topic / Geek / 3321
Re: Gasaraki 1, any good?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 06:27:12 GMT

Borislav Marinov at GW0Custom@aol.com wrote:

Ha?!
As a Grand Admiral I assume you have also seen all of the shows I am referring
above.

Yes, and I watched some of them before you were born. :^)

There are capital ship fights in BG

Really? Which episodes? I only remember lots of Vipers zooming around. I
also only recall Base Stars closing distance enough to spew Raiders at the
rag tag fugitive fleet.

There's an episode guide on www.battlestargalactica.com so don't give me any
"I don't remember which episode" BS.

and I am also positive that it came
before SW (but that is irrelevant).

Well, you're positively wrong on that note.

Star Wars: Premiered May  1977

Battlestar Galactica: Premiered September 1978

What I am referring is about the style of
combat and more accurately the amount of inertia.  In all the shows above the
space ships move and act like regular fighter jets were inertia is a large
factor in fighter combat.

Um, I think you're using the word "inertia" to mean something other than its
true definition. Truly, inertia is a large factor in any type of physical
movement. However, I do see what you're trying to say.

I'll grant that Star Wars fighters behave like airborne fighters.

Any B5 fans want to weigh in here? I seem to remember the B5 fighters (Star
Fury?) having to rotate and use their engines to reverse direction in a
fairly realistic manner. There may be other fighters in the series I know
nothing about, since I didn't really follow the series.

And if you're talking about Star Trek, you should be much more specific,
since there are four TV series and 9 movies.

In addition all of these shows have a heavy
emphasis
on large capital ships loaded with fighter plains duking it out (take Tie
Fighter for example).

I don't remember any of the Enterprises or Voyager carrying fighters.
Shuttles, perhaps.

Now the mecha style of combat is something completely
different, mainly because mechs change their direction very fast and easily
and
the whole fight scenes while more fun are more unrealistic.  I was merle
trying
to point out that the episodes referred to are so good that a person who has
lived knowing only one style of space combat can easily adopt the new one.

Um, what? You didn't refer to any episodes, you just made generalities, some
of which were incorrect.

Also, I don't think the Star Wars/ Battlestar Galactica style of space
combat is entirely similar to the Star Trek style, or the B5 style. There
are some similarities, but they each have their own distinctions.

Ha! Lets see how "space" are going to catch up to us when we have such
irrelevant posts as this one :)

Well, since this also deals with Space topics, I'll include them in the
thread. :^)

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations