 Off-Topic / Geek / 2575
RE: Digital Camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:16:52 GMT

Mike Walsh writes:
$1000 -- Decide between the Nikon Coolpix 990 or Olympus 3030Z.
There are numerous runners-up from Fuji, Canon, and Sony.

My brother-in-law has the 990.  I personally do not like the twist body
style that the Coolpix 950 and 990 use.  It is also heavier than
I expected it to be and it is no where near as good with batteries as my
D490 (analysis based purely on obervation and discussions w/ my
brother-in-law).

I have had a 990 for a month or two now, and I love it!  (I got it for $836
at pcwonders.com)  The twist body design is really useful because you can
tilt the LCD so you can look in a different direction than the lens is
pointed...for example, if you want to take a self portrait, or a low angle
or high angle shot (tilt the LCD down and hold the camera above your head).
The camera also takes excellent pictures in low lighting...and if the
automatic settings don't give the results you desire, everything is also
manual if you want it to be...focus, aperture, shutter, post-processing,
flash, etc.
It does eat batteries fairly quickly, but I was able to get two sets of NiMH
AA batteries and a charger for less than $30.  The camera also comes with a
16 MB card and a USB cable, so you don't need to buy a card reader.  And if
you take pictures at half resolution (1024x768) which is fine for most
computer applications, you can fit 78 pictures on the card that comes with
the camera.
Just my .02,
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht