 General / 25749
Re: Digital Camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:27:19 GMT

"Mike Stanley" <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote in message
news:G6CE3J.8xH@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
It does eat batteries fairly quickly, but I was able to get two sets of • NiMH
AA batteries and a charger for less than $30.  The camera also comes with • a
16 MB card and a USB cable, so you don't need to buy a card reader.  And • if

Ditto on the batteries - digicams eat them like popcorn.  Here's a good • site
for batteries and chargers:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

I recently got the Nikon 880 and you are absolutely right about batteries!
One of the first accessories I purchased was an AC adaptor and the LI-ion
rechargable battery.  One other great thing about the Nikon are the optional
lens atachments they make.  A lot of my LEGO shooting requires a wide angle
of at least 28mm (in 35mm format).   I got a hold of the non-fisheye lens
atachment and now I can get down to a comparable 24mm lens!

you take pictures at half resolution (1024x768) which is fine for most
computer applications, you can fit 78 pictures on the card that comes • with
the camera.

78 - not bad.  :)  At full resolution (2048x1536) I get 245 with my Casio
3000 and microdrive.  At half resolution I think I can fit just under • 1000.

I think the Nikon's are awesome cameras, maybe even a little better
quality-wise than the 3000 (the 990 anyway).  But they were dumb in not
making them able to use CF II cards.  To get the kind of space I wanted so • I
wouldn't have to worry about dumping pics during the middle of a vacation
day I would have had to spend hundreds more on a couple of 128mb CF cards.

Yea, they made that same mistake with the 880 but to add insult to injury,
they only include a measly 8MB CF card(can't store a single TIFF)!   Oh
well, hiho, hiho, it's off to spend I go!

Adrian