 General / 25810
Re: Digital Camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 07:54:54 GMT

As far as macro shots go (especially LEGO) I use the LCD for composing the
shot, since that gives me an SLR effect and what I see is almost exactly
what
I will get in my shot.  With any non-SLR camera, macro mode is near useless
since parallax is exaggerated when you are up close + personal.  The beauty
of
digital cameras with an LCD is that you don't have to accept the bulk of
an SLR in order to have the benefits of an SLR when you need it!

As for ergonomics, I think the C3030 is the most ergonomic digital camera
(for righties!) out there right now.  The swivel head of the Nikon is good
for the "gee whiz" effect, but the fact is, (and I know many owners of
the Nikon who concur) most of the time you won't use it, and it can be
more of a hindrance than a help when you don't need it.  At this point the
only thing I would consider trading my C3030 for is a 4 Megapixel from
Olympus, but at the moment those are too bulky.  There was a time when
I did a lot of photography with a 35mm SLR, but now, with my family
and all, I prefer having something a little more readily portable and
convenient to have around at all times.

Just MHO.

-Peter

"Erik Olson" <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller writes:

Although many people are recommending Olympus's cameras, I personally • find
them to have terrible ergonomics. They may be fine if you're used to a
regular film-eating point-and-shoot camera, but the Nikons are actually
designed to be digital cameras, and it shows.

Coming to the opposite conclusion: I appreciated the shape of the Olympus, • and
hated the Nikon shape. The Nikon swivel head was intriguing, but I got a • better
one-handed operating grip on the Olympus. The right half of the camera is • wedge-
shaped. (No help for lefties there.)  I can firmly grip the camera while • still
manipulating controls as I look through the viewfinder.

Aside from Nikon and Olympus, many other boxy, rectangular, *small* • cameras
(Kodak, Fuji, Canon) need to be held by the fingertips from both hands--no
points scored there.

Still, now that I've been shooting in all sorts of situations, I would • like to
try out a Nikon swivel-head for some cases. Not outdoors, but definitely • on
closeups. The Olympus has good macro mode but you have to look straight • through
the viewfinder! I'm even considering going back to a (state of the art) • 640x480
USB cam for closeups in tight spaces.

I wonder if the new 10x optical zoom (Olympus 2100) does well in macro...

-Erik