 General / 25748
Re: Digital Camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 18:46:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller writes:

Although many people are recommending Olympus's cameras, I personally find
them to have terrible ergonomics. They may be fine if you're used to a
regular film-eating point-and-shoot camera, but the Nikons are actually
designed to be digital cameras, and it shows.

Coming to the opposite conclusion: I appreciated the shape of the Olympus, and
hated the Nikon shape. The Nikon swivel head was intriguing, but I got a better
one-handed operating grip on the Olympus. The right half of the camera is wedge-
shaped. (No help for lefties there.)  I can firmly grip the camera while still
manipulating controls as I look through the viewfinder.

Aside from Nikon and Olympus, many other boxy, rectangular, *small* cameras
(Kodak, Fuji, Canon) need to be held by the fingertips from both hands--no
points scored there.

Still, now that I've been shooting in all sorts of situations, I would like to
try out a Nikon swivel-head for some cases. Not outdoors, but definitely on
closeups. The Olympus has good macro mode but you have to look straight through
the viewfinder! I'm even considering going back to a (state of the art) 640x480
USB cam for closeups in tight spaces.

I wonder if the new 10x optical zoom (Olympus 2100) does well in macro...

-Erik