 Off-Topic / Geek / 2569
Re: Digital Camera
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 05:02:56 GMT

"Erik Olson" <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:G6B5IB.IC1@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Kenneth A. Drumm, Ph.D. writes:

[ ... snipped ... ]

$450 -- You have a LOT of choices. Spend $20 on some computer magazines • with
camera reviews. Or get the excellent Olympus 490 (hint hint).

I have the D490 and I am very happy with it.  It is awesome with respect to
batteries.  I have had it since September, have probably taken upwards of
500 pictures with it and am still on the second set of batteries.

$800 -- You can afford 3 megapixel cameras. I bought the Olympus 3000.

The Nikon 880 is getting good reviews and lists for about $800.  It is also
a 3.3 mega-pixel camera.

$1000 -- Decide between the Nikon Coolpix 990 or Olympus 3030Z. There are
numerous runners-up from Fuji, Canon, and Sony.

My brother-in-law has the 990.  I personally do not like the twist body
style that the Coolpix 950 and 990 use.  It is also heavier than I expected
it to be and it is no where near as good with batteries as my D490 (analysis
based purely on obervation and discussions w/ my brother-in-law).

No money -- wait a year, and all the above will get 1 category cheaper.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com