 Off-Topic / Fun / 9713
Re: Death of the Old Guard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:19:37 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
I don't think Lego Castle is dead.

I also don't think Harry Potter is castle, but rather just castle fodder.

Here you encounter my first problem: for those of us who don't buy Harry
Potter or Star Wars or studios monsters on principle (me) theres not much
left.

You don't buy those sets "On principle"?  Ye gods, WHY?!  Brick is brick is
brick, no matter what set it comes from.  Even *Jack Stone* has SOME good
parts.  Star Wars and Harry Potter sets have given me *tons* of useful bricks,
plates, and specialized pieces.  It would have been impossible for me to build
my village sections for Brickfest without having SW and HP parts.  Don't limit
yourself because of misguided beliefs that Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Monster
Studios sets are "evil" or "not really Lego".  No set or theme should be
ignored just because it isn't "true" castle.

Now, I'll admit that these themes aren't the best for building actual castles,
but there is much more to the castle theme than fortified buildings.  If all
you want to do is build forts, the bulk gray bricks are pretty much sufficient.
However, if you want to build villages, towns, and many other civilian
structures, Harry Potter can't be beat.  And you can always sell or trade the
parts you don't like.

"All sets are spare parts, period."
Jeff