 Off-Topic / Fun / 6967
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:18:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Noeckel writes:

Secondly, it’s not cool when several people whom appear to be concerned get
degradedly referred to as “suckers.”

Its also sad April Fools Day is on the American calendar.  What are those
guys thinking?  And under no circumstances is it acceptable to play an April
Fools' joke a week ahead, never.

I had been writing an essay for my
Politic Science class when I saw the massage on the ‘Top Stories’ board. I
was concerned, and in now way cynical at the time, I simply wanted to help
Mark out! I had no idea that I would be insulted :(

Dude, R-E-L-A-X.  Mark IM'ed me with the url for the post, and I was stunned
and troubled at first.  Then I realized what time of year it was, what kind
of guy I know Mark to be, and he kindly pointed out it spelled 'APRIL FOOLS'
vertically and the FUT was set to o-t.fun.  Now, if someone were really
going into a Dark Ages, would they FUT to o-t.fun?  Learn to laugh at
yourself, I sure laughed at myself once I figured it out.  Its funny, you
know, humor.  As for being insulted, well, that's your choice.

(Indeed, LUGNET is a
much harsher place lately.)

Now I can agree there, and its not as much fun for me anymore.  But jokes
like this (appropriately timed) add to the flavor for me.

I come to Lugnet to relax and share my thoughts about a hobby that I enjoy.
Not to look out for cynicism or deception. Perhaps next time I'll go
somewhere else...

If this disturbs you this much, then I don't know what to say.

The ONLY thing I think that was done to the extreme was the post to
.announce.  That dilutes the purpose of the group.  A post to people and a
followup to o-t.fun would have been better.

Doesn't stop it from being funny.  Lighten up.

-Tim