 Administrative / General / 9033
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:50:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Secondly, it’s not cool when several people whom appear to be concerned get
degradedly referred to as “suckers.”

I'll tell you both one thing.  I happen to remember this:

  http://news.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=5691

which at the time shocked me but turned out to be true.  When I read Mark
Sandlin's post in .announce earlier, I had absolutely no reason to doubt it.

Yeah...and as you noted (and I mentioned in my message earlier) it wasn't
appropriate for .announce.  Its spilt milk though.  I guess the fact that I
know Mark gave me a slight upperhand, and the fact that he personally
messaged me with the URL.

Its also sad April Fools Day is on the American calendar.  What are those
guys thinking?  And under no circumstances is it acceptable to play an April
Fools' joke a week ahead, never.

Honestly, I've never in my life heard of an April Fools joke played in
March, except for the train hoax in .trains last year.

He told me his reasoning for that was because no one would give it second
thought next week.  If I'm not mistaken, part of making an April Fools joke
is to *fool* somebody for a time, an effect he didn't think he could get on
the day.

The ONLY thing I think that was done to the extreme was the post to
.announce.  That dilutes the purpose of the group.  A post to people and a
followup to o-t.fun would have been better.

It was totally inappropriate for .announce if it was a joke.  I seriously
hope something like this never happens here again.

Never happens here - in .announce, or on Lugnet?  I'd agree with the former,
but I think that on/around April Fools Day, jokes should be expected and
tolerated.  You do have a point that it was a tad early, though...

-Tim