 Administrative / General / 9044
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:20:53 GMT

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message

I certainly don't think that April Fools day should be canceled. What I
am concerned is that with electronic communication amongst relative
strangers, hoaxes lose something. With the face to face April Fools
jokes of my childhood, one had all sorts of non-verbal clues from ones
parents, siblings, or friends which result in getting the joke fairly
quickly. Even in a print media, there are often subtle or not so subtle
clues (like different fonts, or a change in the magazine title).

Mark put in some clues of his own.  Did you read down on the side of his
message, all the capital letters lined up to spell 'APRIL FOOLS' and the FUT was
set to o-t.fun.

Insults take two people. Yes, one can chose not to be insulted, but the
one delivering the insult isn't blameless (and your last sentence there
is certainly insulting, you are in effect saying that Richard is a
lesser person because he was insulted by this mess, consider what you
have just said).

You could consider it that, or you could take it at face value, you choose to be
insulted.  My statement there was never intended to be and in my view isn't
considering Richard less of a person.  Though I am puzzled as to why someone
would be terribly insulted by Mark's joke.

It's funny to you because you know Mark. It's not funny to someone else
who is just starting to come out of their cocoon here, and showed
genuine concern for someone giving it up, and then getting slammed for
it.

I can kinda see that.  But, I just thought of it, and if I didn't know Mark, or
if it was someone I didn't know playing the joke, I wouldn't be insulted.  It
might not be as rip-roarin' funny as it is to me because I know him, but I
wouldn't take it personally.

On the other hand, you are right. We should all lighten up, and some of
the folks who could stand to lighten up are the ones who jump on folks
because the got upset about something.

Yes, but on the other hand, the people who get upset about something could stand
to lighten up as well.  I've slipped a couple times and inadvertently ended up
insulting people, which never was my intention.  That stuff happens, and in
cases like that I just need to think of my words better (I'm thinking of one
situation that I feel terrible about, because I totally didn't see it while
posting but reread my post and it could be terribly insulting for the person it
was to.  I apologized publicly and privately, and got no reply either place.)
This situation though, I have a pretty clear opinion on who should lighten up.

-Tim