 Administrative / General / 9056
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 18:19:08 GMT

"Rose Regner" <lego@r2eng.com> wrote in message news:GAu85v.5Bz@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:

Yes, but on the other hand, the people who get upset about something could • stand
to lighten up as well.  I've slipped a couple times and inadvertently ended • up
insulting people, which never was my intention.  That stuff happens, and in
cases like that I just need to think of my words better (I'm thinking of one
situation that I feel terrible about, because I totally didn't see it while
posting but reread my post and it could be terribly insulting for the person • it
was to.  I apologized publicly and privately, and got no reply either place.)

I am assuming that this is me you are talking about. (our email is down so I
have to post this here)

Ok.

I am not sure what you expect me to say to you. That
everything is OK? That message brought me to tears. You said you were sorry.
I still don't know what prompted such a harsh reply. I really have nothing
to say about this matter at this time.

Well, I can say with a clear conscience that I did not intend that message to be
harsh, my attitude in posting it was not meant as an insult, but it did come
across that way.  At the time I posted it, I was working in a lab across campus
and was very distracted on a large video editing project, periodically checking
Lugnet out of boredom/frustration with nitpicking on Final Cut.  I never
intended the message as a flame, but somehow it came out that way.  When you
posted your reaction I reread my message and realized how harsh it could be
taken, and was really sorry for writing it.  I corrected myself and apologized
online, and cancelled it when I could.  I even left Todd a voice message to
cancel it, because I couldn't do it from my machine back in my room.

As for what I had hoped to hear from you, it was at least an acknowledgment via
email, but as you said, your email is down, so that is fine.  I felt even more
terrible when you did not reply, but that is explained now I suppose.

I'm still upset that it upset you so much, it was never my intention to come
across offensive like that, but it did.  Its something I need to work on.

Note we lose 90% of our communication online.

It is a sad state of affairs when someone can't post a neutral post about
Lego without the possibilty of being flammed. Some kind person responded to
my post about wanting a clearance polar base set from K-mart. I had never
seen her name on LUGNET before. She is a delightful person and we shared
some nice emails. I asked her why she didn't post and she stated that she
hadn't worked up enough courage to do so. Well I can certainly see why she
feels this way and frankly it is VERY sad.

I had recieved indirect contact from someone the other day who had promised to
do something for me (not involving money) and took a sudden trip out of the
country for a month, and didn't have time to say or have internet access.  He
talked to someone else and asked them to contact me for forgiveness privately,
and also noted that he hadn't logged back onto Lugnet because he felt too badly
about it.  I was taken aback by that, really, because I didn't see it as that
big of a deal.

I've also met people who are too timid to log on here.

-Tim