 Administrative / General / 9047
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:11:00 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
This situation though, I have a pretty clear opinion on who should lighten up.

Perhaps I could stand to lighten up, but perhaps I'm also genuinly
concerned for our community, but maybe I shouldn't. Perhaps I should
just let the community go where it wants. Maybe I shouldn't care about
my fellow man.

If you believe I am deeply offended by Mark's post, you are totally
missing my point. I am not really offended by his post (but I'm glad he
appologized because perhaps someone else was offended enough that an
appology is benneficial).

I like to think that I'm a community builder, and I have to say that of
all the online communities I've been a part of, Lugnet is the best by a
long shot. But I see the community of Lugnet diminishing. I think I
understand some of the causes, and perhaps my posts on this joke issue
aren't helping. I know my outlook on life the past year or so has been
pretty sour because of my work situation (and I keep wondering just how
much of an idiot I'm being for not changing it, unfortunately I hate the
process of the job search).

About a year ago when the whole punishing people for misplaced auction
posts business was blowing up, I had some pretty strong thoughts about
not just leaving the LEGO community, but actually destroying my
collection. Thankfully I've climed out of that pit, but I'm getting
awfully tired of all the crud (1) which is going on here. Perhaps I'm
just blowing off some steam. Perhaps the lugnet.vent is a good idea, but
I also have this funny feeling it isn't. So how do we vent
constructively?

(1) Part of me wants to use a much stronger word here, but I have too
much respect for Lugnet's TOU. Of course part of me is also frustrated
that a year after we started to realize the TOU and possibly the news
group structure needed to be changed, we still are just talking about
it.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com