 Administrative / General / 9048
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:56:08 GMT

Excellent advice (and ironic that you cited who you cited).

In this particular case, though, I think Frank *is* on to something. I think
in this electronic age, we go through the cycle of
-that's new, it's neat... wow, who'd have thunk of it!
-this fits into my routine now, and I enjoy it.
-this is kind of tired, I'm tired of it a bit.
-parodies and strife
faster than we did for older media...

And I strongly feel that this media lends itself to people acting in a manner
they normally wouldn't in a face-to-face, real life situation (flaming. etc).
Since computers create a safe distance, people start acting like they can say
anything. I prefer to behave as if I'm speaking to someone who is in the same
room with me, and mind my tone. I believe nobody should say anything that would
earn them a knuckle sandwich in the real world.

I am not making any sweeping statement that things are at any particular
point but I too am worried. Now, it could be that this is just a stage and
there is no real problem here but things do seem to erupt more frequently,
and engender more hard feelings, than when Lugnet was fresh and new. Could
be a factor of the larger user base, or a factor of our having changed, or
who knows.

Feel free to let this slide as I am not sure there's anything to it.

But I understand why some people were perturbed by this particular joke (not
me, for once I suspected it was a joke right off the bat) and why some
people are perturbed that people are perturbed. But I don't think there's
any call for anyone giving anyone else a hard time about it. (and most
people, including you, Dan, aren't!!!)

If that makes any sense at all. I dunno. If I could put my finger on it
precisely, I would. It just makes me uneasy, like the Duplo Logo thing did a
while back. Maybe that means I have too much invested emotionally here,
because I want everything to be perfect. I dunno.

Yes, I believe any hobby requires some sort of personal, emotional investment
and committment. Otherwise, how much will one get out of it? The important
thing is keeping things in the proper perspective by balancing one's time and
involment in a hobby (i.e. don't keep all your eggs in one basket). It is good
to have high standards and expectations of people's conduct on the net, but one
shouldn't expect perfection.

Dan