 Off-Topic / Fun / 6966
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 05:54:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:
Tim Courtney wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Eric Kingsley writes:

I can't believe there are so many sucker's out there... ;-)

And to think we have only seen the begining.

I think what's funnier is people are still falling for it, even though
several have posted acknowledging it is a joke. :D

These stupid jokes are starting to get on my nerves. I'd also say that
this topic is entirely off topic for this group. It isn't fun (if it
wasn't a joke, it's not fun, if it is a joke, it's sick, it's definitely
LEGO related and therefor off topic for lugnet.off-topic.fun).

Are we now to be subjected to this crud for a whole month? Are we going
to start having these jokes all year round? Think carefully about how
easy it is to keep a straight face in a post. I wonder how much of this
kind of crud Lugnet (or any other online media) can withstand before
collapsing because no one can trust anything which is said.

And I also don't think its "funny" that people get suckered in (for one
thing, remember people often read from the start of a thread and post
their reply immediately, sure, folks should wait until they have read
the whole thread, but even those of us who have been being trapped by
not reading the whole thread before responding for 15+ years still
forget sometimes).

Frank

First off, when I posted nobody had said anything about the hoax. The first
'realization-message’ came about 3 min prior to my post. Therefore, I only
realized that it was a fake after I had posted mine.

Secondly, it’s not cool when several people whom appear to be concerned get
degradedly referred to as “suckers.” I had been writing an essay for my
Politic Science class when I saw the massage on the ‘Top Stories’ board. I
was concerned, and in now way cynical at the time, I simply wanted to help
Mark out! I had no idea that I would be insulted :(  (Indeed, LUGNET is a
much harsher place lately.) Perhaps if I wasn’t preoccupied with my essay,
or if had taken the time to evaluate post, I'd realized the deception.

It’s sad to target those who are concerned or simply wish to help. Your sham
was aimed at those empathetic few, who simply showed compassion. Just so YOU
could LAUGH at them. I don’t know Mark, or have ever seen him, I just wanted
to support him. Next time I'll be weary of those who attempt to take
advantage of those who show concern.

I come to Lugnet to relax and share my thoughts about a hobby that I enjoy.
Not to look out for cynicism or deception. Perhaps next time I'll go
somewhere else...

                       -R