 Off-Topic / Debate / 9349
Re: In the interest of full disclosure...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:42:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
I realise the limits of taking an analogy too far...but since you
already did it.....what you've just said is still intelligent design.
What are the chances of a moustrap forming if you put all the parts into
a box and shake it - that's not having intellignet design.

snippo

I love this example.  I see you conveniently left out "the chef
(baker?)" in your list.  Without any "thing that is intelligent" to
create the cake, you'll never have a cake....even if you wait for 4.5
billion years.  That scaffolding you list is useless without somebody to
use it!

The breaking point with both analogies is that they refer to human-invented
artefacts (leading to the spurious conclusion that the universe is
_necessarily_ a God-invented artefact). Re the scaffolding, I can give an
example from embryology. At one stage of development the fingers of a foetus
have connective webbing, which later disappears. There's no intervention
from any "divine architect" to specifically remove that webbing, its growth
and disappearance is a totally natural process. The webbing facilitates the
development of our fingers, yet can scarcely be discerned in a normal fully
formed hand. In other words, just because scaffolding is no longer present,
doesn't mean that it wasn't there before, and a complex developed structure
doesn't require a more complex precursor.

Instead of pushing the tiresome sophistry of Dr Dino back and forth, I'd
appreciate a more interesting discussion. I hope a reply to my post
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=9082 would be a good place to start.

--DaveL