 Off-Topic / Debate / 5452
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 07:20:22 GMT

Mike Petrucelli <lordinsanity@usa.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison writes:
The color of the dog's fur has no more impact upon its breed than a • man's
skin has upon his speices.  Different dog breeds have significant • physical
differences not merely cosmetic ones.  As far as I know there are no
significant physical differences amoung humans, only cosmetic ones.

No physical differences?  Ahh, so that's why we're all 6'2" and 200 • lbs.
Thanks for clearing that up.

And no one suffers from sickle cell anemia.

  Dave!

What you got to say now, Mike?
-Chris

The same breed dog can have different sizes.

Sickle cell anemia is a genetic defect not a SIGNIFICANT physical • differnce.
-Lord Insanity

Actually, by some measures it is.  The inhabitants of central Africa (and
elsewhere) must contend with plasmodium, an amoebic organism that disrupts
red blood cells, causing the disease malaria.  It just so happens that
plasmodium cells have much more difficulty disrupting sickle shaped red
blood cells then normal ones.  Plasmodium, acting as a selective pressure,
has influenced the evolution of various African population groups, leading
to a much higher incidence of sickle cell anemia within those groups.  You
see, even though sickle cell anemia causes serious health problems, it
actually enhances a person's chances of survival in the presence of rampant
plasmodium infestation.  What you consider an insignificant defect (true in
a region without plasmodium) is actually a very significant evolutionary
enhancement--when considered within its proper context.  (As an aside,
plasmodium and malaria basically kept Europeans out of central Africa until
this century.)

Perhaps you need to define what you mean by a 'significant' physical
difference, so we can discern the difference between a singular 'race' and a
group of related but different 'races'.  Also, your choice of dogs as a
differentiated 'race' may actually undermine your argument.  To my
knowledge, all dog 'breeds' can still interbreed, just as all human 'races'
can.  I've also read that if you put a bunch of very different looking dogs
into a group, and start breeding them in random pairs, you'll end up with a
bunch of pseudo-wolves in only a few generations.  (Unfortunately, I can't
find a  credible source to support or refute this, so I'll just throw it out
there.)

  -Doug

^V^^V^
Nix 'Wicked' to reply.