 Off-Topic / Debate / 5443
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 22:57:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

The color of the dog's fur has no more impact upon its breed than a man's • skin
has upon his speices.  Different dog breeds have significant physical
differences not merely cosmetic ones.

  How about a chocolate lab vs. a black lab?  Each is prized for certain
"cosmetic" differences, yet each is a labrador, and each is a dog.

As far as I know there are no
significant physical differences amoung humans, only cosmetic ones.

You ventured in another post that you're either more "mentally well" or "so
naive it isn't funny."  You don't at face value seem more well than anyone • else
here, nor would I say you're necessarily naive.  However, it seems that you're
being deliberately obtuse about this.  No one here has asserted that there's a
"gene" for race, and a good chunk of this discussion erupted from an innocent,
off-hand reference to race, according to a vernacular almost universal except
among Postmodernists and pedants (which may, I grant you, be a redundancy).
What you're doing, though, is trivializing the issue of race by presuming
that it can be eliminated simply by asserting that you don't think that one
current playing field is valid. Dr. King didn't die because he was trying to
delineate the genetics of "colored" and "white," yet you're trying very hard • to
reduce such sacrifices as his to a simplistic question of "don't they get it?"
Likewise, the lynch mobs of the early 20th century didn't hunt people down • who
failed a DNA test. The problem of race is real, even if it can't be stratified
according to some genetic checklist to your liking.

   Dave!

Glad to see that SOMEONE is on my side, Dave!
-Chris (the one who started this entire posting thread, as well as who made
the offhanded remark of race)