 Off-Topic / Debate / 5457
Re: Why can't we have a Lando: Lego's Race policy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 15:34:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
First I am not blaming you Chris for using "race" in the manner which you did.

  Whether you blame him or not, you jumped all over him, both when he made the
statement in the first place as well as when he tried to correct himself.  I'm
sure you have nothing against Chris personally, but it seemed to me (and,
apparently, to him) that you were attacking him or his views directly.

Also I would never attempt to trivialize Dr. Martin Luthor King Jr.'s death.
I simply can not understand why anyone cares what color skin I or anyone
else has.  I do not understand why it matters.  We are all human.

  In much the same way that no one here has asserted the existence of a
"causasian gene," no one here denies that you don't understand why it
matters.  The fact that you're placing your lack of understanding above the
sacrifices and hardships of countless generations of people of varying
heredities and backgrounds is itself a trivialization of those sacrifices.

I truly belive that makes me either way above you all or incredibly naive.  I
don't really know which.

  I don't think naive is the word I'd choose, and you certainly don't seem to
be above anyone.

Not to trivialize my above statement but I also can not understand why anyone
would pay so much money for a "pure bread" dog.

  Again, you're drawing no distinction between your inability to understand
something and someone else's desire to do that same thing. Just because I
can't understand what it's like to be burned over 80% of your body, I don't
deny that those who have been burned that way have suffered.

   Dave!