 Off-Topic / Debate / 5453
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 11:12:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Why is AIDS such a big deal?

Oh, man, you are bringing up a topic that perhaps is more explosive than just
about any other in modern american society. I love it.

Geez Larry, instead of answering the question, your first thought is
to relish the debate.

This is not going to make me any friends, but in my opinion the attention AIDS
gets is a testimony to the power of certain special interest groups who want • it
to get more attention than other threats to longevity that actually are more
serious.

Special Interest groups huh.  Need I remind anyone reading this that until
"certain special interest groups" fought, protested, and demanded AIDS research
in the 80s, that the Reagan administration would not even acknowledge its
existence, let alone fund research.  It wasn't until the late 80s before Reagan
would even say the word AIDS, not until Rock Hudson was infected.

For 10 years thousands of people died, billions of people were not educated,
and the disease spread like wildfire.  But until someone of note had the
disease and AIDS Research was started, the religious right and ignorant were
free to label it a "gay" disease.  Let them die in their sin.  Meanwhile, the
disease spread to epidemic proportions in Africa.

I used to be a memeber of the New York City Gay Men's Chorus.  Do you know how
we spent most of our Saturday's in the mid and late 80s - singing memorial
services for chorus members and friends, sometimes, 2 in one day.

AIDS became of dig deal because the public only heard "gay disease".  The gay
rights activists shifted thier focus, out of self preservation, to AIDS.  Not
until Act-Up did Aids get the publicitiy.  Not until Act-Up did Aids Research
get funded.  Not until celebrities started hosting AIDS research funding galas
was their any money for the research.

The gay Aids activists also forced the FDA to change their policy on the amount
of time needed to realease a new drug.  The gay Aids activists were also the
first to develop educational materials about AIDS.  They had to do these things
to survive!!!

Why is AIDS such a big deal:

1. Because it is a huge blemish on the US government for their lack of early
funding for research.

2. Because a disease mobilized a "special interest group" to take action to
defend their own lives.

3. Because a "special interest group" brought chnage to the FDA.

I could go on.  But unless you lived through the AIDs 80s, you really don't
understand the battles that had to take place to survive.