 Off-Topic / Debate / 28713
Re: We'll just wave...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 23:36:35 GMT

   What I mean is that a solution that exacerbates the problem is worse than doing nothing. For example, some want to repeal the 2nd Amendment. YOU might think that it is a good idea, but it isn’t. Really.

Are you sure of that? As you are making an assertation which cannot be proven.

If it was me, I’d just follow the logic of it, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Ergo, then, it would be fine to regulate that individuals who wish to possess guns must be a member of a well regulated militia, and be TRAINED in what the guns do. This is one of the few cases when an individual who had fairly extensive firearms training has used one like this...

I don’t buy that the US founding fathers anticipated the Bushmaster/AR 15/M 16 as being a perfectly normal firearm for someone to have in their house, at least unless the owner was a member of a well regulated militia. It’s inherently harder to go on a killing spree with a knife, or a single shot black powder musket than with a AR 15 variant & a 30 round clip. (or a FN and a 10 round clip...or any clip which holds more than 5 rounds...gives time to take action if someone is brave enough to try it...)

Please, remember, we have ~7 million rifles here in Canada...so it’s not just the access to rifles which is an issue. (That’s about 1 for every 4 people...). We also have had school shootings- and we’ve got politicians who are totally foolish in their attitudes- Dalton McGinty’s answer to lock the doors is a joke to me- we’d save more lives installing lightning rods on school soccer pitches than locking doors...

James