 Off-Topic / Debate / 28703
Re: We'll just wave...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 02:30:35 GMT

<snippage>

   There are lines that can be drawn--the ones in their own little camps that have the automatic attached to the roll bar in the jeep think there should be no line on the firepower they can own...

I don’t think that the issue is automatic vs semi-auto. All of these mass killings would be tragic whether 10 were killed or 28 were killed.

   (right now I’m having vague recollections of previous o-t.d)

Lay off the LSD, Dave!

   Should this kid have had legal access to the semi-auto .223 he actually had legal access to?

I don’t think so.

Therein lies the discussion.

The guns belonged to his mother. He killed her to get access to them. He had been denied ownership in the past, so, theoretically, the system worked.

Where do you draw that line?

And I really believe it’s disingenuous at this to state that ‘making guns illegal will make only illegals have guns’

It’s a logical fallacy. The proof is that countries that have very restrictive access to guns makes it very hard for ‘bad scary people’ to have access to guns.

We are a BIG country, so the analogy breaks down, IMO. Further, there are already a brazillion guns in this country already-- eliminating then would be next to impossible. It would be Deja Prohibition all over again.

   We can’t eliminate the issue of someone killing someone else--that’ll never happen. However, as your president stated, knowing this, we can’t just say, ‘oh well, since we can’t eliminate it, let’s do nothing...’

The problem is that, just doing something can and usually is worse than doing nothing.

   That is not an option anymore.

Therein lies the rub: what to do.

JOHN