 Off-Topic / Debate / 28699
Re: We'll just wave...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 14:43:59 GMT

   as, again, an opportunity to have a legitimate discussion about guns in that sociopathic country to the south of us goes right on by.

When?

Seriously, when are you going to put your kid killing toys away?

There are no words for what 27 families are going through today because a very tiny minority want their ‘security blanket’

Grow up.

Dave K

Okay, I’ll bite. What would you propose, Dave?

JOHN

Molly Ivins--

“In truth, there is no rational argument for guns in this society. This is no longer a frontier nation in which people hunt their own food. It is a crowded, overwhelmingly urban country in which letting people have access to guns is a continuing disaster. Those who want guns---whether for target shooting, hunting or potting rattlesnakes (get a hoe)---should be subject to the same restrictions placed on gun owners in England---a nation in which liberty has survived nicely without an armed populace.

Michael Crichton makes an interesting argument about technology in his thriller “Jurassic Park.” He points out that power without discipline is making this society into a wreckage. By the time someone who studies the martial arts becomes a master---literally able to kill with bare hands---that person has also undergone years of training and discipline. But any fool can pick up a gun and kill with it.

“A well-regulated militia” surely implies both long training and long discipline. That is the least, the very least, that should be required of those who are permitted to have guns, because a gun is literally the power to kill. For years, I used to enjoy taunting my gun-nut friends about their psycho-sexual hang-ups---always in a spirit of good cheer, you understand. But letting the noisy minority in the National Rifle Association force us to allow this carnage to continue is just plain insane.”

I’ll start with that, and what the president stated last night at the memorial service.

Other ‘civilized’ countries, when experiencing mass murder such as this, enacted greater and more restrictive gun laws and have lived many years/decades without a repeat performance.

Let me reiterate wht your president stated last night--

“Since I’ve been President, this is the fourth time we have come together to comfort a grieving community torn apart by a mass shooting. The fourth time we’ve hugged survivors. The fourth time we’ve consoled the families of victims. And in between, there have been an endless series of deadly shootings across the country, almost daily reports of victims, many of them children, in small towns and big cities all across America -- victims whose -- much of the time, their only fault was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. ”

And you don’t think something needs to change in your United States of America?

Or are we even thinking about the assanine Ann Coulter approach--the answer to this mass shooting is more guns ‘for the people’.

(and when was the last time she was right about, well, anything?)

Get it together, America. Your wake-up call has been ringing for decades and you’ve consistently and quite blatantly been ignoring it.

Dave K