 Off-Topic / Debate / 28429
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:16:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

   Just because something is a legal restriction of free speech doesn’t make it not censorship. Free speech is not a complimentary set of censorship and the two can in fact overlap, likewise the absence of one does not guarantee the presence of the other.

What’s the standard, then? Does censorship cover anything that doesn’t include everything? That would define “censorship” so thinly that it would have no meaning at all. But if we insetad define “censorship” to be an action of government, then we avoid this problem, and we can set about coming up with some other term to describe the process when a private entity likewise restricts speech. That’s not an arbitrary distinction, either; a government is in the unique position of being able to restrict access across the board, whereas a private entity can only restrict access within its sphere of direct influence.

   Furthermore if the first amendment is important in determining what is or isn’t censorship (as your last paragraph seems to imply) does that mean every country without explicit free speech laws can’t have censorship? I think not personally.

Well, the first amendment doesn’t grant anything. Instead, it guarantees that the government doesn’t have the power to restrict (among other things) the right of free speech, which is taken as inherent in the individual (we can discuss “inherent rights” in another thread if you want to pursue it). Therefore, when the government restricts that freedom, it’s censorship (outside of accepted cases, such as “shouting fire in a theatre” or disclosing up state secrets).

Censorship in this context is a legal concept rather than an interpersonal one, and maybe that’s the essence of this disagreement. LUGNET and other private entities (such as the incredibly fantastic Bloks Forum) simply don’t have the means to censor in that capacity; all they can do is restrict what goes on within themselves.

I would argue that in another country the right to free speech exists even if it isn’t expressly guaranteed by that country’s Constitution. Therefore that country can certainly engage in censorship, even if no laws exist to protect freedom of speech there.

Dave!

(I’m heading home now and might not be online until late tonight, so don’t hold your breath awaiting another lyrically brilliant posting from me!)