 Off-Topic / Debate / 28409
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:48:09 GMT

   When a privately-owned website enforces the TOS to which posters have explicitly agreed, that’s not censorship.

Disagree, especially in the event that the enforcement is on subjective issues. For example, Lugnet’s TOS specifies that you shouldn’t post that which is “profane” or “vulgar”. Let’s say the administration deems the word “evolution” as “profane”, and so it starts cancelling posts with the word “evolution” in them, because they feel that it violates the TOS. Censorship? It sure is in *MY* book!

But the more I think about it, even enforcement of non-subjective issues is still censorship. If you tried to post a binary computer virus to Lugnet, Lugnet will try and censor that content! It’s explicitly against the rules to post binary files, so it’s far beyond clear that such censorship would and/or should take place. But just because Lugnet has told you beforehand that it censors binary content doesn’t mean that when it actually DOES so that it’s somehow not censorship. Lugnet disallows particular content, and doing so is censorship. It’s just that it’s totally fine.

Maybe the hangup is that even though censorship isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but people seem think it is. In the present discussion context, it seems people explicitly want to avoid saying “Lugnet censors content”. And that’s just not true. It does. Not very *OFTEN*, mind you, and not without *good reason* (or so I’d like to think), but just because the word “censorship” has a negative connotation doesn’t mean that it doesn’t apply.

But whether or not murfling represents censorship is another issue entirely. I personally don’t think it does, although I could see the the argument for the “gray area” starting to begin at murfling.

DaveE