 Off-Topic / Debate / 28416
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:23:21 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   When a privately-owned website enforces the TOS to which posters have explicitly agreed, that’s not censorship.

Does that apply to pay-to-view television channels too? If they purposefully leave out bits of news is it not censorship?

I agree it’s not the best analogy but the private=noncensored argument is a dangerous one.

For these purposes I think that censorship refers to an action taken contrary to the wishes of the person supplying the content. A discussion of news outlets necessarily expands the debate beyond LUGNET and similar websites, such as the incredibly dynamic Bloks Forum, which are more similar to online conversations with the website serving as facilitator.

You’re attempting to compare two very different things:

1. An interactive forum in which participants communicate with each other through the medium of the website and subject to the TOS

and

2. An information outlet in which the outlet alleges a responsibility to provide information in an unaltered fashion

Actually it doesn’t have any such responsibility. It may be prudent to broadcast unaltered information (although it usually isn’t, political slant is a good way to differentiate yourself from your competitors) but I’m willing to bet that if you look at your cable contract they can broadcast whatever they like (so long as it doesn’t break laws wrt things like slander, libel etc.).

As I said it’s not the best analogy but the problem is there aren’t really any good analogies thanks to the interactivity of the medium. The one I chose may not be the best but it’s not (IMO) quite as different as you make out either.

   It strikes me that there is a clear difference in intent and expectation between these two, so that the applicability of the term “censorship” must apply differently as well.

While I agree that intent can have an influence on censorship (eg. being physically unable to broadcast all news from every angle so having to choose what information you broadcast) it is not able to magic away censorship merely by arguing that the intent and expectation are the same.

Is a private school which refuses to teach, carry or mention Tom Sawyer (with the acceptance of the school’s parents) censoring the book?

   If it results in posts being deleted, hidden, altered, or flagged in some way, it still isn’t censorship.

Why not? Is it not censorship because the person agrees to the rules first? If a citizen votes for a politician who states he will increase censorship does it cease being censorship simply because the person has ‘signed up’ to that policy by voting for them?

Analogies between a private organization and government authority don’t quite work, because the government has the power (if not the authority) to forbid all outlet of the information, whereas a private organzation can only prevent its outlet within the confines of the organization’s influence. But by the logic of your question, it’s censorship unless every private organization dispenses every piece of information.

I’d like to see an analogy that does work (as I said before I don’t think there is one). The thoroughness of censorship does not, IMO, effect whether or not something is censorship, merely how effective the censorship is.

   The point of all this is that discussions of what censorship “really is” are interesting but not really relevant here.

   They are quite relevant. If murfling is a form of censorship then it is a euphemised form of censorship, if it is not a form of censorship then it is not a euphemised form of censorship. What censorship is lies at the very heart of the matter of whether or not the word “murfle” is a euphemism (Richie’s point which sparked most of the debate).

If murfling is accepted under the TOS of a privately-owned forum for interactive discussion, then it’s not censorship. It’s simple enforcement of contract.

Dave!

I don’t see that censorship as part of enforcement of contract is not censorship, it’s just a more acceptable form of censorship. I chose to accept an NDA, but it is still a form of censorship.

Tim