 Off-Topic / Debate / 28407
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:15:04 GMT

   When a privately-owned website enforces the TOS to which posters have explicitly agreed, that’s not censorship.

Does that apply to pay-to-view television channels too? If they purposefully leave out bits of news is it not censorship?

I agree it’s not the best analogy but the private=noncensored argument is a dangerous one.

   If it results in posts being deleted, hidden, altered, or flagged in some way, it still isn’t censorship.

Why not? Is it not censorship because the person agrees to the rules first? If a citizen votes for a politician who states he will increase censorship does it cease being censorship simply because the person has ‘signed up’ to that policy by voting for them?

   Alternatively, if it is censorship, it’s voluntary self-censorship by the poster him/herself, who has stated, by clicking through the “Before You Post” screen, that he/she explicitly authorizes the board to handle the post in accordance with the TOS. In essence, the poster had delegated this authority to the host.

I agree with this. And I’ve not yet seen a single person argue against murfling here, I’ve merely seen people state that it is a form of censorship.

   The point of all this is that discussions of what censorship “really is” are interesting but not really relevant here.

Dave!

They are quite relevant. If murfling is a form of censorship then it is a euphemised form of censorship, if it is not a form of censorship then it is not a euphemised form of censorship. What censorship is lies at the very heart of the matter of whether or not the word “murfle” is a euphemism (Richie’s point which sparked most of the debate).

Tim