 Off-Topic / Debate / 28413
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   When a privately-owned website enforces the TOS to which posters have explicitly agreed, that’s not censorship.

Disagree, especially in the event that the enforcement is on subjective issues. For example, Lugnet’s TOS specifies that you shouldn’t post that which is “profane” or “vulgar”. Let’s say the administration deems the word “evolution” as “profane”, and so it starts cancelling posts with the word “evolution” in them, because they feel that it violates the TOS. Censorship?

Nope. It comes back to the TOS. I can dig up the link if you’d like, but a year or so ago there was a big discussion regarding someone’s ouster from Bricklink for violating the TOS of that site. Great was the outcry on his behalf, though I hasten to add that he was commendably respectful of the TOS.

Anyway, people objected that the TOS was unclear. Well, too bad. It was unclear at the time of sign-up, and by signing-up, all participants explicitly accepted it.

The real issue isn’t whether or not the TOS is vague; it’s whether or not the individual participant accepts the vague TOS. If he/she does accept it, then (barring criminal issues, of course) he/she has no grounds for complaint when the TOS is enforced. Further, if the TOS says “The forum will delete or alter posts according to its whim,” then the poster is totally out of luck, having explicitly accepted the open-ended possibility of deletion.

   But the more I think about it, even enforcement of non-subjective issues is still censorship. If you tried to post a binary computer virus to Lugnet, Lugnet will try and censor that content! It’s explicitly against the rules to post binary files, so it’s far beyond clear that such censorship would and/or should take place. But just because Lugnet has told you beforehand that it censors binary content doesn’t mean that when it actually DOES so that it’s somehow not censorship. Lugnet disallows particular content, and doing so is censorship.

Okay, but it’s voluntary self-censorship, as I mentioned. You’re right about the problematic connotation of the word, but that’s kind of what we’re debating, isn’t it?

Where did the word “murfling” come from, anyway?

Dave!