 Off-Topic / Debate / 28411
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:02:01 GMT

--snip--

   Maybe the hangup is that even though censorship isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but people seem think it is. In the present discussion context, it seems people explicitly want to avoid saying “Lugnet censors content”. And that’s just not true. It does. Not very *OFTEN*, mind you, and not without *good reason* (or so I’d like to think), but just because the word “censorship” has a negative connotation doesn’t mean that it doesn’t apply.

I think this hits the nail firmly on the head. Censorship is most definitely not always a bad thing. Child pornography is, and should be, censored in almost every country in the world. Ones anti-virus email filter censors ones email whenever it needs to. None of these things are called censorship but they most certainly are censorship.

   But whether or not murfling represents censorship is another issue entirely. I personally don’t think it does, although I could see the the argument for the “gray area” starting to begin at murfling.

DaveE

At the end of the day my argument that murfling is a form of censorship is mostly a gut instinct. Dave K’s argument here almost convinces me that it is not but doesn’t quite sit right. One difficulty is that online information retrieval does not always have offline equivalents. For me the basic arguments boils down to “could the word ‘murfl’ be replaced validly by the word ‘censor’?” and the answer to my mind is: yes.

Tim