 Off-Topic / Debate / 28424
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:48:49 GMT

   Nope. It comes back to the TOS. I can dig up the link if you’d like, but a year or so ago there was a big discussion regarding someone’s ouster from Bricklink for violating the TOS of that site. Great was the outcry on his behalf, though I hasten to add that he was commendably respectful of the TOS.

I definitely disagree. If a private school wants to exclude any and all books from its premisis talking about Darwin’s evolutionary theory, that’s censorship! Everyone involved might be totally fine with it, and they might have made you aware of their policy before you sent your kids there, but it’s still censorship!

   Anyway, people objected that the TOS was unclear. Well, too bad. It was unclear at the time of sign-up, and by signing-up, all participants explicitly accepted it.

It seems that you’re suggesting that if you agree that your particular input might get removed, that somehow it’s not censorship. I think what you’re talking about more along the lines of waiving your right to free speech, which is not the same as saying that something is no longer deemed censorship. It’s just that you agreed that censorship was acceptable.

   Okay, but it’s voluntary self-censorship, as I mentioned. You’re right about the problematic connotation of the word, but that’s kind of what we’re debating, isn’t it?

I came in at the point where I wanted to clarify that while censorship may be defined strictly as a flat *denial* of access to information, that censorship may also include instances where information isn’t necessarily denied, but somehow obscured.

A further point that’s been made which I agree deserves attention is what level of “denial” constitutes censorship, if the censored or observing party truly doesn’t care that information was removed and/or omitted by another party.

I have to admit you’re the only one I’ve seen so far in this debate who seems to think that flat denial of information by parties in power might somehow NOT constitute censorship.

DaveE