 Off-Topic / Debate / 28427
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:47:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:

   If a private school wants to exclude any and all books from its premisis talking about Darwin’s evolutionary theory, that’s censorship! Everyone involved might be totally fine with it, and they might have made you aware of their policy before you sent your kids there, but it’s still censorship!

Nope. The child and parents can still read the book at the local library or at the bookstore or even online. The private school is choosing not to carry a particular book on private property, which isn’t censorship.

Suppose I write a book that is lousy by every objective standard, and I pitch it to Random House. Are they censoring me because they choose not to publish it?

   It seems that you’re suggesting that if you agree that your particular input might get removed, that somehow it’s not censorship. I think what you’re talking about more along the lines of waiving your right to free speech,

You explictly agree to restrict your own speech when you agree to the TOS. The first amendment does nothing whatsoever to guarantee your right to free speech in a private forum.

   I came in at the point where I wanted to clarify that while censorship may be defined strictly as a flat *denial* of access to information, that censorship may also include instances where information isn’t necessarily denied, but somehow obscured.

If it’s obscured to the point of being made effectively inaccessible, then you may be correct. But in the case of a private forum, the price of entry to the forum is the abiding by the TOS, even if that entails a voluntary curtailing of one’s right to free speech.

If you spout off a string of obscenities and get yourself booted off of LUGNET, then you are still free to spout your obscenities in the public square. This is much the same as that idiot Imus; he violated the TOS of his contract (and cost CBS a bunch of sponsor-money), so he was axed. But he can still spew his idiocy on the street corner or in a park, so his freedom of speech is not denied; it’s just that he no longer has the privilege of speaking on CBS’ licensed airwaves.

   I have to admit you’re the only one I’ve seen so far in this debate who seems to think that flat denial of information by parties in power might somehow NOT constitute censorship.

That’s probably because I’m the most smartest of all, but I’ve learned to live with that.

Anyway, a private forum’s choice to deny something or not is the business of the private forum. But if the user can still readily get that information elsewhere, then it’s not censorship. If the information is available solely through that private forum, then the user is simply being required to abide by the TOS.

What you’re arguing, in effect, is that anything short of a fullscale free-for-all is censorship. In fact, the choice of private entities to restrict speech within their boundaries is entirely consistent with the first amendment.

Dave!

Just because something is a legal restriction of free speech doesn’t make it not censorship. Free speech is not a complimentary set of censorship and the two can in fact overlap, likewise the absence of one does not guarantee the presence of the other.

Furthermore if the first amendment is important in determining what is or isn’t censorship (as your last paragraph seems to imply) does that mean every country without explicit free speech laws can’t have censorship? I think not personally.

Tim