 Off-Topic / Debate / 28421
Re: What Censorship Isn't
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:53:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy P. Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Does that apply to pay-to-view television channels too? If they purposefully leave out bits of news is it not censorship?

Every news show leaves out bits of news. Is all news censored?

Every library excludes some books. Is that censorship?

Censorship implies a bit more active restriction, I think.

Hey, that’s pretty good. In essence, omission is not censorship; restriction is.

That works at least in the public arena, but it still doesn’t apply IMO to a private forum.

Still, it’s a good rule of thumb.

Dave!