 Off-Topic / Debate / 27303
Re: Heads up, atheists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:47:16 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:

   Right back atcha - WHY does it have to eminate from a Superior Being?

   Good question. Additionally, it must be stated that if our notion of “good” emanates from some entity, then we have no means of objectively assessing that entity’s “goodness” or “evilness.”

   Good is not defined by religion, no matter what you seem to stubbornly think.

This would be a good time for us all to review Plato’s Euthyphro.

Having done just that, I have a few observations:

First, some of Socrate’s initial arguments would have to be reworked assuming a single God. But I’m sure that wouldn’t be a problem for Plato;-)

Overall, this discussion simply reiterates to me how arguments involving God and logic are doomed. The concept of an omniscient, omnipotent God is illogical. I mean, how much further need I go than to ask “If God is omnipotent, can He create a stone that He can’t lift?” Therefore, it isn’t hard to attack such concepts using logic, but merely an exercise in proving the illogical illogical, as Plato so masterfully does.

But Plato is correct-- can we ever know what is good, what is pious or impious? We are trapped in a finite world of relativism, unable and ill-equipped to grasp an Objective Truth. But isn’t that precisely what God is (by definition)? Interestingly, when Jesus is approached by a person addressing Him “Good teacher”, Jesus replies, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.”

As to your statement: “...we have no means of objectively assessing that entity’s ‘goodness’ or ‘evilness’”, Dave!-- I readily admit that that is certainly true, but I approach the concept of God from the other direction. I start with the givens that God exists, that God is omniscient, omnipotent, immutable, and (perhaps most importantly) unknowable. We cannot assess God beyond what He reveals to us about Him. I believe that God has revealed to creation that He is one, and that He is good. Those are (literally) givens, and we can only proceed from there.

JOHN