 Off-Topic / Debate / 27287
Re: Heads up, atheists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:49:56 GMT

   http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5283079-103390,00.html

   Okay, so you’d tend to disagree with his supposition:-) What interested me about the piece is the fact that the author claims to be an atheist, so the typical “preaching to the choir” accusation doesn’t quite fit as it would were the writer a Christian, for example, making the case.

That’s why I coined this stunningly witty phrase: preaching to the choir, even if the preacher isn’t part of the congregation. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

   So I guess, given your analysis, that non-believers can make bad arguments as well as believers? :-)

No. All arguments by non-believers are inherently perfect and sumptuously articulated.

   Here is, if I may, boil down what I believe is the essence of what he is talking about-- does one believe that he/she is their brother’s keeper? I believe the responses to this question will cut down along faith lines. Christians (and I will only speak for and about that particular faith group because it is the one to which I am a member) are charged by God to care for their neighbor-- it is the tangible way for us to manifest our commitment.

Non-believers, OTOH, do good for any number of reasons, all of which I don’t understand (except the ones for self-satisfaction). But I do know that their motivation isn’t because of any sense of obligation.

Arguably there’s an evolutionary imperative that inclines us to help each other because we’re all members of the same species, but that weak compulsion is readily over-ridden by greed, fear, hate, etc.

I tend to help others because I am able to empathize with them, and because the worldview I’ve developed over these many decades places a higher value on alleviating others’ suffering that upon allowing that suffering to persist. My empathy enables me, to some extent, to recognize what their suffering would be like if it were happening to me; if I were suffering then I would like someone to aid me, if possible.

Honestly, I’ve just given an over-articulation of something that happens more or less automatically. That is, I don’t run through an equation every time I see someone drop his groceries--I just pick them up!

   And that leads me to my best argument for believing in and acknowledging God-- it puts one in a proper attitude when socializing with others. Life is not about MEMEME, but about caring for and about others. Even if God doesn’t exist, living by an imperative to “love thy neighbor” is still the best way to live one’s life IMO.

You’ve hit on the central question of ethics, for what that’s worth. Suppose that a real jerk begins to do good works only because he truly believes that someone will kill him if he doesn’t perform such deeds. And suppose that he would stop his works if he realized that no one will kill him. Are his good deeds still good?

If the average believer who performs good works, found out tomorrow with 100% proof that no deity exists, would that now-former-believer abandon his good works? If so, then we must ask again--are his previous good deeds still good?

(By the way--the comma after “performs good works” in the above paragraph wasn’t strictly proper, but the parsing was clunky without it. Call it poetic license.)

   An atheist could easily take upon his or herself that same imperative, but it seems to me that it would lack a motivating force (except for self-satisfaction, which argueably isn’t altruism anyway).

I’m afraid that this gets more deeply into BF Skinner’s notions of operant conditioning than I’m able to discuss with any authority.

   So, doing good is more of priority for a Christian, and may or may not be for a non-believer, depending on I don’t know what. I still have a hard time understanding what would motivate a non-believer to do good anyway, if not for personal gain.

“More of a priority” might be tough to gauge, but I would tend to agree that, within the Christian’s notion of the universe, the motivation to perform good works is more concretely spelled-out than is an atheist’s. In practice, however, the average atheist (whatever that means) is probably about as likely to perform a good deed as the average Christian (whatever that means).

Of course, all of this depends on the definition of “good deed” that’s generally embraced by our modern, North American culture...

Dave!