 Off-Topic / Debate / 27282
Re: Heads up, Christians
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:52:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Hey John, I was recently passed an article talking about conservative religion in America, and I’d like your impressions.

First off, I’d say Moyers is over-reacting a bit. Any Christian who would want to set up any type of Christian theocracy is just as much a fringie as MM is to the Left. Both are to be eschewed IMO.

It is not my desire to see the US turned into a theocracy, but by the same token, it is not my desire to see the US turned into a purely secular society as well. We are not France, and I don’t wish us to emulate them.

What Liberals and atheists (and right-wing Conservatives for that matter) need to come to terms with is non-religious “God language” that neither establishes or endorses religion, but merely reflects values that founded our nation. The fact that my penny says “In God We Trust” in no way coerces anyone to believe anything about anything.

But I like it because it is our heritage. We are a nation of Christians, yet we have a secular government. It is a fine line to tread, but honestly, I think we do it pretty well-- except when over-zealous secularists start whining about violations that are essentially baseless and merely incite and provoke people of faith, making them feel under attack.

I am really more worried about how people act than what they believe, because what they believe is reflected in how they act. Society can only judge actions, not beliefs or intentions, and that is how it should be.

So I really don’t fear the religious far-right any more than I fear the far-left. Both are too extreme to be embraced by the US GP.

JOHN