 Off-Topic / Debate / 27296
Re: Heads up, atheists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:43:33 GMT

John wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

I agree with Dave completely.

Another key weakness of his opinion is that he ignores whether atheists could
actively support religious charities for non-religious purposes.  Although I
am an agnostic, I regularly donate to Heifer International because I believe
in their mission and methodology.  I first learned about Heifer while
attending church as a kid.  I support them regardless of whether they calls
themselves Christian or Buddhist or what-have-you.  I imagine that many
atheists do the same.

Hey, Lenny-

Do you support them because you feel an obligation towards your fellow man?  And
if so, from where does that sense eminate?

Right back atcha - WHY does it have to eminate from a Superior Being?

What is so hard to understand about the fact that Doing Good is Good,
regardless of your "reward" (which, in your case, is Brownie Points To
Avoid Damnation)?

Good is not defined by religion, no matter what you seem to stubbornly
think.