 Off-Topic / Debate / 27283
Re: Heads up, atheists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:52:04 GMT

And that leads me to my best argument for believing in and acknowledging
God-- it puts one in a proper {attitude} when socializing with others.  Life
is not about MEMEME, but about caring for and about others.  Even if God
doesn't exist, living by an imperative to "love thy neighbor" is still the
best way to live one's life IMO.

I'm an atheist, and I tend to agree with that opinion, just not as strongly, ie
life is about a *mixture* of MEMEME and caring for others. But if your opinion
is your best argument, then I don't think you have much of an argument - the
article you linked certainly doesn't back it up with anything other than someone
else's opinion.

So, doing good is more of priority for a Christian, and may or may not be for
a non-believer, depending on I don't know what.  I still have a hard time
understanding what would motivate a non-believer to do good anyway, if not
for personal gain.

Well that doesn't really matter does it? If they "do good", should their
motivation  make any difference at all? Maybe you're just looking for personal
understanding of atheists? Well I think that's probably on a par with
understanding women and christians - good luck!

ROSCO