 Off-Topic / Debate / 27301
Re: Heads up, atheists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:14:17 GMT

<snip>

This would be a good time for us all to review Plato's Euthyphro.

Dave!

Just how well read are you, Dave!??

Heh.  Not as well as I'd like, to be honest.  My knowledge of modern history is
embarrassingly feeble, and I have no ear for modern poetry, either.  Most of the
meaty entries on my "stuff I've read" list came about in college, though I still
like to refresh and browse from time to time.

Euthyphro is a particular favorite because it asks the question "is a thing good
because the gods like it, or do gods like a thing because it's good?"  An
analogy is made between a good thing and any random object:  is an object
carried because it's a "carried object," or is it a "carried object" because
someone carries it?

Nifty stuff, and it's not all that unpleasant to read, either.

Oh, that Socrates.  Such a troublemaker!

Dave!