 Off-Topic / Debate / 26397
Re: Victories for smokefree ballot initiatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:37:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:
As for letting people make their own stupid decisions--in general--sure. Let
people choose to smoke, I can't prevent them from doing so in their own home,
or among a group of consenting individuals. But I DO NOT CONSENT to people
smoking around me in public, and WILL NOT, unless I am in a smoker's private
residence (which, for obvious reasons, I rarely go there). I think its
criminal to force the harmful effects of smoking on another individual who
doesn't consent, and I'm determined to fight for the rights of all nonsmokers
to breathe air clean of the filth.

Kind of a tricky line to walk. I mean, getting a job as a stunt man you're
subjected to physical danger and harm. Working as a stripper will almost
guarantee what (in other industries) would easily be construed as sexual
harassment from patrons. Getting paid to be a medical test subject invites all
sorts of unknown physical/mental side effects. Should the government ban such
professions (or "sources of income" since I wouldn't consider "medical test
subject" to be a profession) because they run serious risks? Or is it up to the
individual to say "Gee, that sounds dangerous, so I won't apply for that job"?

If you dig up articles on smokefree.net, you should find that in any case,
business goes up with a total ban.

I wouldn't be suprised. I think if I were in the government's shoes, I wouldn't
have a total BAN on smoking, because I'd say it's up to the establishment and
its employees to make that decision, but I would do my best to ENCOURAGE
smoke-free establishments. Perhaps put a tax on businesses that allow smoking,
or a tax break on businesses that are smoke-free. Or both.

DaveE