 Off-Topic / Debate / 26409
Re: Victories for smokefree ballot initiatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:26:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:

I await the day when the concept of smoking is only remembered in the history
books. Not likely to happen in my lifetime, though.

I await the day when the concept of smoking american guns all around the world
is only remembered in the history books. with a paranoid nation which has just
confirmed its paranoic government it's not likely to happen in my lifetime,
though.

w.

Ouch!

For me, I'm very libertarian where smoking is concerned--Hey, you're hurting
yourself if you smoke--if you want to play Russian Roulette with the cigarettes
(1), all the power to ya!  THis gets into a very big 'gray' area where my tax
dollars and helth care are concerned, but me hiking and riding my bike
everywhere is something I wanna do but also could result in health care dollars
being spent on me...

About the guns--again, I'm getting to be more and more libertarian about
that--if you can assure me that your gun in your house will only be used by you,
hey, keep it--just don't let the criminals get their hands on it.

As for America being paranoid--that's multifaceted--considering the deplorable
history of foreign policies from the US, I'm amazed that more countries aren't
pissed at them--you kick a dog enough times, it's not paranoia that makes you
think that the dog may turn around and bite you one of these days.  Get off this
idea that 'they hate us 'cause of our freedoms'.  They don't hate the Swiss, or
*cough* Canadians *cough*--and we have the same, if not more, freedoms than the
US does up here in Canada.

No, 'they' hate the US becaouse of what the US does on a world scale. Prop up
puppet gov't here (who put Saddam where he was?), take singular approach
regarding Israel/Palestine, etc.  Hey, it might not be true all the time, but
more times than naught, the US 'gerrymandering' in foreign affairs, whilst under
the intent of 'good' for America (therefore, as some Americans are want to
think, 'good for the world') basically disenfranchises people.  It's amazing
that a country founded on the principle that 'disenfranchisement suxors' can be
so obtuse regarding the disenfranchisement of others.  You keep 'the people'
down, they will rise up against you.

Lesson learned from history.  Again, for a country so hung up on its own
history, 'tis amazing that they can't see that they're doing what they most
loathed in the first place--suppressing people.

Sure it's more complicated than that--as I said, 'multifaceted'--nevertheless,
the crux is that you kick the dog enough times, the dog will bite you.  Is it
really paranoid when they really are 'out to get you'?

Dave K
1- I've heard numerous times over the years, "Well, grandpappy smoked every day
of his life and lived to be 94!"  Well, booley for him.  Smoking increases the
*odds* of getting sick or dying.  It's not *guaranteed* to kill you.  Decrease
the smoking, decrease the chances of you dieing younger.  Eh, playing the odds.