 Off-Topic / Debate / 26400
Re: Victories for smokefree ballot initiatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:36:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:

If you dig up articles on smokefree.net, you should find that in any case,
business goes up with a total ban.

I wouldn't be suprised. I think if I were in the government's shoes, I wouldn't
have a total BAN on smoking, because I'd say it's up to the establishment and
its employees to make that decision, but I would do my best to ENCOURAGE
smoke-free establishments. Perhaps put a tax on businesses that allow smoking,
or a tax break on businesses that are smoke-free. Or both.

I await the day when the concept of smoking is only remembered in the history
books. Not likely to happen in my lifetime, though.

In the mean time, whatever I can do to clear the air, making it safer for me and
others, I'll do.

-Tim