 Off-Topic / Debate / 26410
Re: Victories for smokefree ballot initiatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:12:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:

I await the day when the concept of smoking is only remembered in the history
books. Not likely to happen in my lifetime, though.

I await the day when the concept of smoking american guns all around the world
is only remembered in the history books. with a paranoid nation which has just
confirmed its paranoic government it's not likely to happen in my lifetime,
though.

w.

Ouch!

For me, I'm very libertarian where smoking is concerned--Hey, you're hurting
yourself if you smoke--if you want to play Russian Roulette with the cigarettes
(1), all the power to ya!  THis gets into a very big 'gray' area where my tax
dollars and helth care are concerned, but me hiking and riding my bike
everywhere is something I wanna do but also could result in health care dollars
being spent on me...

All I ask about tobacco companies are that the people responsible for hiding
cigarettes toxicity and increasing their addictive elements are held personally
responsible for their deceptions (i.e. thrown in jail forever and fined so much
that they will have to work for forever and a day to pay back their debt to the
lives they ruined).

About the guns--again, I'm getting to be more and more libertarian about
that--if you can assure me that your gun in your house will only be used by you,
hey, keep it--just don't let the criminals get their hands on it.

Yeah, we need those guns to get the tobacco company execs that will bribe their
way out of being in jail forever with their blood money.

As for America being paranoid--that's multifaceted--considering the deplorable
history of foreign policies from the US, I'm amazed that more countries aren't
pissed at them

Bribes.

--you kick a dog enough times, it's not paranoia that makes you
think that the dog may turn around and bite you one of these days.  Get off this
idea that 'they hate us 'cause of our freedoms'.  They don't hate the Swiss, or
*cough* Canadians *cough*--and we have the same, if not more, freedoms than the
US does up here in Canada.

Who would bother attacking sissies?  Or their bankers?  ;-)

No, 'they' hate the US becaouse of what the US does on a world scale. Prop up
puppet gov't here (who put Saddam where he was?),

Himself.  Or are you inaccurately trying to insinuate that the U.S. put Saddam
in power in Iraq?

take singular approach
regarding Israel/Palestine, etc.  Hey, it might not be true all the time, but
more times than naught, the US 'gerrymandering' in foreign affairs, whilst under
the intent of 'good' for America (therefore, as some Americans are want to
think, 'good for the world') basically disenfranchises people.  It's amazing
that a country founded on the principle that 'disenfranchisement suxors' can be
so obtuse regarding the disenfranchisement of others.  You keep 'the people'
down, they will rise up against you.

Most of the "gerrymnandering" of the map was the fault of Europe.  I suspect you
mean to use the word in some fashion I'm unfamiliar with (or completely
inappropriate to the word).

Lesson learned from history.  Again, for a country so hung up on its own
history, 'tis amazing that they can't see that they're doing what they most
loathed in the first place--suppressing people.

Unlike Canada, who only rents the whole country from the Indians they didn't
kill and displace and supress.

Sure it's more complicated than that--as I said, 'multifaceted'--nevertheless,
the crux is that you kick the dog enough times, the dog will bite you.  Is it
really paranoid when they really are 'out to get you'?

Well, make up your mind, are we paranoids or not?  I need to know if I should
add more weapons to my arsenal or if I have enough for the imaginary foes
without having to worry about the real ones.

-->Bruce<--