 Off-Topic / Debate / 26403
Re: Victories for smokefree ballot initiatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 04:48:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:

In the mean time, whatever I can do to clear the air, making it safer for me and
others, I'll do.

Even if it violates people's rights?

The right to breathe clean air is inherently superior to the right to subject
others to the byproduct of your pleasure.

Where? You have no right to breathe ANY air (clean OR dirty) when on my
property, unless I grant it. And conversely I have no right to emit smoke on
your property, unless you grant it.

Therefore when you're on my property, you will breathe the air I choose you to
breathe, or you will need to choose not to be there. And therefore, when I'm on
your property, I will emit the exhaust you choose me to emit, or I will need to
choose not to be there.

Those rights and their boundaries are sufficient to solve your putative issue
without need for further coercion, unless we are talking about public property.
Restaurants and bars are not public property.