 Off-Topic / Debate / 26376
Re: Victories for smokefree ballot initiatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:09:59 GMT

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 05:00:03PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
I'm more than convinced it should be a law. When the smoker's right to
smoke and the citizen (worker, patron, or other)'s right to breathe
clean air are in conflict, the right to breathe clean air should
always win.

No contest there.  I do think we should allow people to make stupid
decisions for themselves - if you choose to take the job at the bar, you
accept the risks that go with knowing you're working in a place that
allows smoking.

The economics are quite simple too -- leave it up to the 'market' to
decide, smokefree bars won't swim. Ban it statewide, and to no
surprise, business goes up in every case. Banning smoking is not only
good for the public health, it's good for the restaurant and bar
business. The only people it's bad for is the 20% [1] of the
population who smokes, and the tobacco industry [2].

If 80% of the population doesn't smoke, you'd think that smokefree bars
would work, wouldn't you?  I've made the choice in the past to go to a
place that doesn't allow smoking instead of one that does.  Figure
enough people do that, bars will get the hint anyway.

I just think it's another case of people trying to force their belief on
others.  I'm surprised there weren't bans on strip-clubs attached to
these initiatives.  I mean, it's not good for the dancers to work there,
is it?  How is it different?

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com