 Off-Topic / Debate / 20902
Re: "Saving" Private Lynch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 19:49:15 GMT

<reinserted a few quotes that David snipped, but I think i've got the
attributions right, apologies if I flubbed>

Nevertheless, your mistrust is not at all misplaced. The BBC, despite being
government funded,

Nonsense! It is funded by the public through a licence fee [~UKP100 / US$160]
for every viewing household & through sales of its products.  Fantastic value
when you think about it.

Sorry, how is a license fee that one *must* pay (or be in violation of law),

*WRONG* there is no "must". One only has to pay if the household has a TV.

and which is collected *by the government*,

It is collected by the BBC [well actually their appointed agent].

and then given to the beeb, BY
THE GOVERNMENT, *NOT* government funding of the beeb? To call it anything
else strains credulity...

You are squirming.

It doesn't matter *what account* the money comes from exactly, if it's a
license fee or a special tax or a general revenue allotment, they're all
government collection mechanisms, government accounts, the BBC is
nevertheless "government funded",

*sigh*  I see your point Larry… but its pretty tenuous. The fact that the
BBC is governed by royal charter is its strength; not its weakness!

and funded by a coercive mechanism.

…and us brits would not change it for the world!

Note that I didn't say "wholly funded", I acknowledge they get money from
sales of various things (like BBC America to the cable companies over here,
for example).... PBS is the same way, some government funding (mostly
capital these days) and some revenue from voluntary sources.

And not made up like the NY Times...

Ooops--US news sources are fallible!  Did I say that out loud?

NO argument here! *All* sources are fallible. To be imperfect is to be human.

What you should measure, though, is whether they are biased and hide it, and
what they do about mistakes they make, and whether they make mistakes on
purpose.  The NYT has gotten pretty low marks from some folks on those
metrics lately (read: in the past 40 years or so). But then so have a lot of
other outfits with biases all over the map. *cough* Fox News *cough*... Of
course, your mileage may vary.

...and I thought the NYT's problems were PLAGIARISM related. Do you have a
view on PLAGIARISM Larry?  ;)

Scott A

If you want to keep your head in the sand, then that's your choice.  Don't
admonish those that want to actually practice some true discernement, however.

Who do you view as a good source? I already know who Scott does, presumably.