 Off-Topic / Debate / 20475
Re: Heres a debate question for ya...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 03:45:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Sean Devolites writes:
Sup all debaters...

I just have a quick question for all of ya.  No offense intended either.

What is the point of having debate in a lego forum?  I mean, its meant
to be a fun place to talk about, um, legos.  But, over here ya got your
political debates and your religous debates...I mean, isn't there a better
place to talk about this stuff?  Its called Lego Users Group Network, not
Debaters network (idea for all of you to make btw : )).  So, wouldn't it
work better to carry this stuff on in email?  Make things a lot easier on
both sides ya know...

Review some past posts about the efficacy and need for an outlet, without
this safety valve, it's argued that the rest of LUGNET would see unpleasant
debates break out.

I can't speak for others but I daresay I enjoy debating among friends whom I
share another common interest much more than I would enjoy debating
somewhere else.

So what im asking is, and this is where no offense comes in, but how many
of you guys have made stuff in lego?  I mean I doesn't have to be the
greatest thing or anything like that, my stuff is far from perfect, but
have you guys all built something?

I've seen constructions and creations from everyone here that I recognise,
except one solitary person. And that person says they're a collector and
reseller, which is a perfectly legitimate way to enjoy the hobby, in my
view. Not everyone has to build.

So challenging people on whether they are builders or not seems not quite
"big tent" enough. You don't have to be a builder to enjoy LEGO.

But I suspect your larger question is "are you debaters all LEGO hobbyists,
or are there people here who just debate and do nothing else?".

I would answer that we're almost all here primarily because of the brick,
with a few exceptions. And those exceptions are the sorts of people I tend
to ignore.

Here's the main point though:

no one is forcing you to read this group, and as long as debate remains
confined here, no one is forcing you to read debate topics elsewhere either.
So why do you care?