 Off-Topic / Debate / 20651
Re: Heres a debate question for ya...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:28:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Sean Devolites writes:
Review some past posts about the efficacy and need for an outlet, without
this safety valve, it's argued that the rest of LUGNET would see unpleasant
debates break out.

How is this a safety valve may i ask?

The reason (if I understand correctly) for having the entire "off-topic"
group was for 'safety valve' issues. Otherwise, debates like this that
*naturally* creep up inside of on-topic posts would have nowhere to go. You
might argue that they should go to email, but really people seem to want to
post things of that nature to the forum. So if there *wasn't* an off-topic
area, you run greater risk that these sorts of debate topics will spring up
everywhere they truly don't belong.

I can't speak for others but I daresay I enjoy debating among friends whom I
share another common interest much more than I would enjoy debating
somewhere else.

True, but wouldn't debating thru emails work better?

Sometimes, I think that's true. But then again, why don't we use email for
ALL Lugnet topics? The answer of course is that when we post to a forum
people who aren't directly involved in the discussion can benefit by
following along. It can give them an idea of what's already been said and
what's currently being discussed.

Now, when you get to the point where only 2 (or some low number of) people
are interested/involved in a discussion, there's definitely more argument
for taking it to email. Or for dropping the issue altogether.

Seriously, I care because I dont like the fact that people argue so much over
little things.  Maybe it has to do with my age, so maybe Ill start sport
debates or something...

It's natural for people to dislike people debating and arguing. Especially
if it's on a topic that you feel is cut-and-dry. But after a while (or so
one would hope) you come to accept that people are entitled to their own
opinions and they'll argue on just about anything :)

P.S  About 2 seconds after making this i realized im defeating my own idea,
so from now on, email it is!

Heh, don't think about it in terms of defeating your own idea. Think about
it as learning & sharing in a friendly environment. Sometimes people will
feel as though they're personally under attack when others debate their
ideas, rather than being open to outside opinions. Or they feel they'd be
showing weakness if they decided to change their minds. That's the best way
NOT to have fun. Instead, don't worry about it. Go in with the assumption
that at any moment someone might say something that'll change your mind.

This specifically (removing off-topic.debate, or even all of off-topic) is
an issue that's come up time and time again, and will most likely continue
to. And in the end, I think it's always been decided that:

- it's a good thing to have, if only for "just in case" circumstances
- it's not hurting Lugnet as a technical system
- people who are opposed to it don't have to view it, so it's not hurting them

DaveE