 Off-Topic / Debate / 20649
Re: Heres a debate question for ya...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:03:42 GMT

Well thanks for the definition Richie!  I guess I see why some people get
angry now...

Anyways, thanks for the response, it sums up debate for me!  I
stick to my points also, so I can see how that is.  I know
how much people hate being proved wrong, like myself.  So,
all I'm saying is, people dont take things personally, I
did that before and its stupid.

Hasta la Vista, Sean

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin writes:
Good points. I post on off-topic.debate irregularly, but view it often.

If o-t.debate wasn't there it wouldn't worry me. However, like driving past
a traffic accident, I try to ignore it - but I am constantly drawn back. The
views expressed here are not those that I would normally read (or hear).

I am constantly amazed that people who appear superficially like me (similar
age, similar LEGO hobby etc) can have views which, to me, are completely whacky.

From off-topic.debate I have learned that:

- Some people really do feel safer with a gun in the house.

- There are Americans who honestly believe that they will grab their guns
and remove their government in a national emergency.

- There are people who actually believe that all rights are property rights
and are prepared to hang systems of belief on this principle.

- People believe that all religions are equally good, or equally bad.

- People believe that the US president was democratically elected, or that
he wasn't.

- Evolution has completely different meanings to different people, but that
that doesn't stop them arguing about it.

- That standard of proof or truth varies on what is being discussed.

- That the US shouldn't have gone to war with Iraq, and that it should have.
And that it's a waste of time, or not.

- People care about the OJ trial.

- Some people think God is a fantasy, but still think there might be a
libertarian government.

- Adultery is not bad.

- People think that postings to o-t.d will change things.

And when I read stuff like that (and the above is simplified. Slightly), I
just can't resist a bit of a prod here or there. Not just to annoy or troll,
but to find out why people think what they do, and see how they defend their
ideas against a bit of criticism.

What you don't see very often though, is anyone changing their views over
time. Debates don't end, they fade away, issues aren't resolved. People's
views are insulted - and people's views continue to be insulting. Some
people go away to sulk, others take time out.

In the end, o-t.d is just a pit where people throw whacky views about.

But it is fun to watch.

Cheers

Richie Dulin